The day has arrived! Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide premieres on Independent Lens this week (October 1&2) on PBS. This special two-night event has a myriad of ways you can be a part of the stories you’ll see, from a social TV application to a mosaic of Half the Sky fans.
With a range of social media activities in place, everyone is invited to be part of the Half the Sky movement. Here’s how you can join us:
- Read, Discuss, and Win! For all the fans of the Half the Sky book, join your fellow readers in the GoodReads community, the largest association of book lovers on the web. We’ll have a Q&A there with author Sheryl WuDunn on Monday, October 1st at 1PM PST/ 4PM EST. Be sure to check out the site for an opportunity to win a signed copy of the Half the Sky book!
- Find us on yap.TV. Want a more social experience during the broadcast of Half the Sky? Eager to find exclusive behind the scenes content with the celebrity activists and change agents? yap.TV is a social TV program guide where you can chat with fans online while watching programs. Half the Sky will provide exclusive content for their yap.TV audience. To sign up today, download the yap.TV app, add Half the Sky to your favorites, and watch America Ferrera interview Urmi Basu in a short film about the caste system. Tune in with yap.TV for more conversations and exclusives during the broadcast on October 1st and 2nd.
- Tweet with the stars! Follow and interact with Gabrielle Union (@itsGabrielleU) as she live tweets during night one of the broadcast, while America Ferrera (@AmericaFerrera) and Olivia Wilde (@OliviaWilde) partake night two. Nicholas Kristof (@NickKristof) and Sheryl WuDunn (@WuDunn) will live tweet on both 10/1 and 10/2. Join the conversation by using #halfthesky.
- Show your support! Be part of art. Share a message using #halfthesky on Twitter, or visit this page and create a Facebook message, and make your profile image a pixel in this mosaic picture. On Wednesday, start the conversation sharing a message in response to this question: “Tell us why you support women and the Half the Sky Movement and you’ll be added to the #HalftheSky Mosaic.”
- Become a change agent. Half the Sky is encouraging fans to show their support for the movement through photo submissions. Take a photo of yourself holding up a card that says “Women Hold Up the Sky” to show your support. You can find these photos on Half the Sky’s Facebook page albums here and here.
Half the Sky encourages audiences to get involved and help raise awareness in an effort to confront oppression and develop real, meaningful solutions that lead to the empowerment of women and girls. This is not simply a two-night affair!